Monday, August 8, 2011

Interns for Impact: CHARLYN STANBERRY


Hello Everyone!  My name is Charlyn Stanberry and I am a summer law intern with Catalyst Miami.  I am a proud native of Jacksonville, FL, but I also have roots in Mississippi.  I graduated high school from Paxon School for Advanced Studies and received my Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Central Florida (UCF).  At UCF, I was the Chairman of the President’s Leadership Council, chartered the UCF chapter of the National Council of Negro Women and was heavily involved with my sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.  In 2005, I obtained my BSBA in Marketing and in 2007 I obtained my Master of Public Administration Degree.   After graduation, I worked in insurance for a couple of years before deciding to go back to school.

Currently, I am a second-year law student at Florida International University College of Law with plans to pursue a career in health law, policy, & administration.  At FIU Law, I am a representative for the Florida Bar Law Student Division and I’m the Southern Region Attorney General for the National Black Law Students Association.

I was blessed and fortunate to be raised by not only my parents, but my great-grandmother.  “Mommie”, (as we affectionately called her), had a seventh grade education, worked as a maid, raised her siblings and her own children, and still found time to give back to the community.  “Mommie” never complained and always helped the poor, sick, children and the elderly with a bright smile.  As a child she would always tell me, “Keep living”, “Think about the world and not just yourself”, and to remember “It’s not about what you do for a person, but what you leave in a person.”  I think about her passion, dedication, and service daily; and that is what drove me to Catalyst Miami.

Catalyst Miami is an organization that helps individuals and communities thrive.  This summer I worked with the President & CEO Daniella Levine on several projects, including looking up legislative history, participating in several conference calls, and attending several training workshops.  I also worked with the “Pennywise Campaign”, which is a grassroots coalition building a movement to protect our county’s services and jobs. As a “Pennywise” intern, I was responsible for creating press releases, creating blog post, setting up meetings with community activists, and helping with the organization of the campaign. Miami is my new home and I hope through my advocacy work I am able to make it a better place for generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment