Monday, April 9, 2012

Catalyst Contributors: Jessica Burden


Greetings!
 My name is Jessica Burden and I am from Sunny Southern California (the best state in the country, of course)!  I graduated from the University of Nevada Las Vegas in 2010 with a BS in Kinesiological Sciences and a minor in African American Studies.  I joined AmeriCorps as a VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) to continue the legacy of service within my family and community.  The idea I’m most passionate about is being a teacher.  I have a strong desire to develop independent, critical thinkers that aren’t afraid to cut against the grain; those who will be our future leaders.  As Community Learning Coordinator at Catalyst, my role involves working to deepen educational relationships between students, community members, local organizations, and educational institutions with a focus on increasing opportunity and decreasing poverty.   I also recruit and retain volunteers, service -learners and interns for Catalyst and our partnering community nonprofits.  After my term of service with Catalyst, I am considering graduate school and Teach for America.

No comments:

Post a Comment