Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Jerry Bethel Turns His Life, the Lives of Others Around


Jerry Bethel is an AmeriCorps VISTA member completing his first year of service at Catalyst Miami. He works closely with the Prosperity Campaign—helping low-wage families and individuals connect to quality healthcare programs, establish financial security and enhance their quality of life. Jerry shares his personal reflections on connecting with Catalyst Miami at a significant point in his life.
Before I came to Catalyst Miami, I was going through a rough time. I was homeless and living on the streets with my girlfriend, who was pregnant at the time.
I connected to Catalyst Miami through a friend who introduced me to the Parent Leadership Training Institute. Being involved in this program taught me how to make changes within my community. I gained a lifetime of experiences and connections that I will forever appreciate.
Shortly after finishing the Parent Leadership Training Institute, my life turned around drastically. I'm no longer homeless. I found shelter, and I became an AmeriCorps VISTA member.
My role as an AmeriCorps VISTA at Catalyst Miami allows me to create and expand programs that ultimately bring low-income individuals and communities out of poverty. I connected with this program because I see a bit of my own story wrapped in the work I am doing for others in the community.
None of this would have possible without the knowledge and connections I made at Catalyst Miami.

1 comment:

  1. You are certainly a wonderful role model for those you serve! Keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete