Monday, August 1, 2011

Interns for Impact: BIANCA MIJARES

My name is Bianca Mijares. I am one semester away from graduating from Florida International University with a Bachelor’s in Anthropology. I was born and raised here in Miami. My parents instilled in me the importance of giving back. Consequently, from a young age I always envisioned a life and career of service. I started college wanting to study Environmental Science and it was my major for three years before I admitted to myself that my real passion was people and their stories and understanding what molded their beliefs and influenced their actions. I took my first Anthropology class last year and realized that I had found the perfect vehicle to find the answer to all my questions and to ask questions I didn’t have the information or the tools to consider asking before. 

I decided I wanted to spend this summer exploring my passions for storytelling and people. So I applied for the “Story Archivist” position at Catalyst Miami. I got the internship and worked in the Communications Department interviewing different people from Catalyst Miami and other organizations and really getting a feel for what they do and how other people’s lives are affected by their work. It was a great experience and I gained a lot of valuable knowledge speaking to people, being inspired by them, writing about them, and seeing how a non-profit operates. 

I am going to start applying for Graduate school within the next couple of months and continue studying Anthropology. I don’t know exactly what I want to do, but do know that I want to serve people in my community. My experience at Catalyst has helped confirm that desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment