Monday, July 11, 2011

Interns for Impact: SCARLETT MONTENEGRO


SCARLETT MONTENEGRO


Hello everyone! My name is Scarlett Montenegro, and I am currently an intern at Public Allies Miami with Catalyst Miami. No day is the same here, I can come in and create a new flyer for a fundraiser or I can be interviewing new prospects for next year’s Public Allies Miami class. I have gotten the chance to work on a variety of interesting projects with my supervisor and Public Allies Miami Director Asha Loring, as well as the rest of the Public Allies team. My supervisor had this to say about my time with Public Allies Miami, “In her short time with us, Scarlett has become an integral part of our team. Her follow through and dedication have truly increased our capacity to support Miami’s nonprofit sector.” The Public Allies team has made me feel like another co-worker rather than an intern. Throughout my time here I’ve been fortunate enough to be part of the growing network of Public Allies Miami. I’ve worked closely with my team preparing end of the year events for Public Allies Miami class of 2011. I was part of the preparation for their Presentations of Learning (which by the way were amazing)! I also helped set up and coordinate their successful Graduation at Jungle Island Ballroom Tree top, where we celebrated their accomplishments.
 I’ve learned so much in the past month, I can now say that I’ve written a press release and have planned for fundraising events. Social Media is also one of my fortes here.  I’ve created Public Allies Miami a twitter account which you can now follow and scoop in on all the new great things we are working on. I’ve also worked with YouTube and Facebook.  Not only do I get to work with Public Allies Miami but also with Catalyst Miami. I am currently working with Daniella Levine and other interns here on an article on poverty which we hope to publish soon for the Georgetown School of Law. I’m going to be working on this article even after my internship here is over. It will be a great reward and accomplishment to see my name published in a Law journal.
 I am originally from Miami. I graduated cum laude from G Holmes Braddock Senior High School, one of the largest schools in Miami-Dade County. I am one out of eleven scholars of the first ever Posse Foundation Miami, attending Mount Holyoke College, in South Hadley, Massachusetts. I am currently a second year majoring in Sociology with a Nexus Minor in Law and Public Policy. I’m also the new InternQueen Ambassador at Mount Holyoke College.  I am presently working on a project of my own on campus that will take place in the spring semester of 2012. I am working closely with the Career Development Center, President Pasquerella, and other staff on creating an event inspired by the non-profit Dress for Success that will give young women on campus the empowerment they need to succeed in the work force. When I graduate, I hope to enter Law School and become a great lawyer in the City of Miami.
 While working at Catalyst Miami I’ve also developed a passion for non-profits and hope to one day have one of my own. The skills and tool sets I’ve learned while interning here will help me reach my goals. I thank Catalyst Miami, Public Allies Miami, and The Posse Foundation for such a great opportunity.  Feel free to contact me via Twitter @scarmontenegro or email at monte22s@mtholyoke.edu.
Thank you, Scarlett Montenegro


No comments:

Post a Comment